Work & Travel USA

Work & Travel USA 2018-02-10T12:09:49+00:00

Spend Your Summer Exploring The U.S.

The Work & Travel program provides foreign students with an opportunity to live and work in the United States during your summer vacation from college or university to be exposed to the people and way of life in the America.

How Does The Program Work? 

We work directly with the U.S Department of State and you will enter the United States with a J-1 Visa. The Visa will allow you to live and work in the United States for up to four months during your summer break from school. You may also have the opportunity to travel for an additional 30 days after your job ends.

CareerDean is responsible to prepare you for your trip to the United States. This includes finding you a job with an employer and ensuring that you have an enjoyable and meaningful experience while living in America.  

Program Eligibility: 
  • Sufficiently proficient in English to successfully interact in an English speaking environment

  • Students enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited classroom based, post-secondary educational institution outside the United States

  • Have successfully completed at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study

  • Program duration is 4 months maximum

What Types of Jobs are Available in the U.S Through CareerDean? 

We work with a wide range of employers all over the United States that are in need of short-term and seasonal staff. Below are just a few examples of opportunities that are available to our Work & Travel participants:

  • Resorts 

  • Hotels & Motels

  • Restaurants 

  • Retail Stores

  • Amusement & Theme Parks

  • National Parks

  • Ski Resorts

Once you apply for our Work & Travel USA program, you will have the opportunity to tell us which type of job you prefer, as well as where in the United States you’d like to live. We then match you with potential employers, where you will interview via phone call or Skype.

What Happens After an Employer Makes a Job Offer?

First of all, Congrats! You’re steps away from boarding a plane and having the time of your life. Once you accept the offer, CareerDean will: 

  • Prepare you to live and work in the United States

  • Assist you in processing your J-1 Visa

  • Assists you in applying for Social Security number

  • Assist you with travel arrangements

  • Assist you with insurance

  • Provide you with housing information

Prohibited Jobs 

CareerDean follows the rules and regulations set forth by U.S. Department of State. Students may research and interview for jobs on their own, but the positions must follow the rules of the J-1 Visitor Program. CareerDean will not approve any job that will jeopardize your safety and well-being. Please review our list of prohibited jobs for Work & Travel below:

–    Positions where students are hired as independent contractors (1099 Form)

   Positions in warehouses or factories

–    Positions in the fisheries industry

–    Positions that do not guarantee minimum wage (Commission-based jobs)

   Positions on a farm or ranch

–    Positions with exposure to pesticides and other dangerous chemicals

   Positions where a professional license is required to qualify for the work

–    Positions that replaces U.S. workers

   Positions that would require the student to stand at mall kiosks or carts

   Positions that requires a driver’s license to operate vehicles or vessels

   Positions that would require use of pedicabs, rolling chairs, other passenger carrying vehicles

–    Sales positions that require students to invest their own money to pre-purchase inventory

   Positions held in the adult entertainment industry, including modeling

   Positions that would require a student to participate in gambling, wagering, and/or betting

   Positions that are filled by a different type of J-1 visa (camp counselors, interns, etc.)

   Positions secured through staffing agencies

   Positions designated by the U.S. Department of Labor as “hazardous to youth”

   Positions where students works the majority of their hours between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

   Positions with traveling carnivals or concessionaire industries

   Positions providing a medical service or involving patient contact

   Positions as teachers, teaching assistants, or coaches

   Positions at businesses that require physical contact with customers, such as, body piercing, tattoo parlor work, or massage

   Positions with domestic cleaning companies

   Positions in private U.S. households, that would require you to work as a chauffeur, au pair, gardener, or servant